Talk:World Archives Project: Ontario, Canada, The Ottawa Journal (Birth, Marriage and Death Notices), 1885-1980
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the World Archives Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Reminder: Project Instructions: "You should only be keying vital events from notices that were published specifically to announce the vital event. Do not key any vital information from regular news articles." I have run across a few image sets that have had Birth & Death information entered from articles in the paper, not in Headed Notices.
When you say 'regular news articles' - does that include notices under Society Columns. I noticed there are deaths, marriages, engagements in these columns. (Just had another set, the only deaths were in news articles.)
Reminder: Project Instructions: "On birth and death records, if there is no given name, but a surname is present and there is a word or phrase that describes the person in the field, such as "infant son", "stillborn" or "unknown", that entire value should be keyed as seen into the Given Name field".
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: On notices where the Surname is say "Brown" and the husband's last name is Brown but the woman that died is Suzie Little (indicating that the maiden name is Little) should we put that as her surname or Brown?
- A: If I understand correctly you would enter your example as follows...
Spouse Surname: Brown
- Q: In previous parts of this project, instructions have been to key "Son", "Daughter", "Stillborn", etc into the Prefix field if there is no Given Name. Now on this part, the instructions for the Prefix field say to key these words into the Given Name field, but the Given Name field instructions say nothing about it. Please could this be clarified - should the instructions say "Prefix" instead of "Given Name", or is it in the wrong field's instructions? I don't think we should review any image sets for this project until this question has been answered as we might be doing the wrong thing. --Katerimmer (talk) 03:40, 25 August 2016 (MDT)
- A: We are making updates to the Given name field help to include this instruction. Annafechter (talk) 15:29, 25 August 2016 (MDT)
Q: What is the instruction on a notice being in the wrong category (For example: a death notice listed under birth notices)?
- A: If you encounter notices that are in the wrong category enter them as they should be according to the information in the article - enter the Notice type as you determine it should be.
Q: Although the instructions say that there are no cover pages that all images contain at least one event, I have a set of 3,two of which have obituary and funeral accounts but no classified BMD's and one on which I can find not even one event listed. Normally I would call all three cover pages but I thought I should point this out as yesterday I sent off an image as a cover page because I could find nothing after checking several times so perhaps there are more out there. The set number is 5658000-25
- A: Obituaries should be keyed. But there are definitely some images in this set which have to be classed as Cover Pages. I think some have been selected because they show the advertising rates for Births, Deaths and Marriages although no actual BMD notices appear on the page. --Katerimmer (talk) 03:12, 29 August 2016 (MDT)
Q: There is only one field for spouse in this project. What do we do in the case of two spouses being listed, such as in an obituary? I think that in a previous project, we were told only the name of the second spouse is recorded. Is it the same instruction here?
- A: From the general keying standards: Multiple Spouses - If there is an individual with multiple spouses but there is only one set of spouse name fields follow the instructions in the field help or Project Instructions on which to enter. If you do not find specific instructions enter the most recent spouse in the spouse name fields. --Katerimmer (talk) 01:30, 15 September 2016 (MDT)
Q: Would the heading of THE NOTED DEAD be something to key.
Q: The quality of many of these images is deplorable at best, making keying extremely difficult, if not impossible. Is there a chance of getting some better images? While reviewing, I have noticed that some keyers give up keying long before they are finished with the image set.
- A: Unfortunately, these images are the best we can provide at the time. Please continue to key as much information as possible from the images. Thank you!
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Since the project instructions say not to key anything that isn't a specific announcement of a vital event, should we key information from funeral notices?
- A: No, we are not keying Funeral Notices on this project.--Katerimmer (talk) 16:43, 10 September 2016 (MDT)
If we are not keying FUNERAL notices, why is Funeral included under Notice Type? Everyone seems to be keying Funeral Notices.
- A: Presumably it was included by mistake because they are keyed on some other projects. --Katerimmer (talk) 13:19, 19 September 2016 (MDT)