Talk:World Archives Project: New Zealand, The New Zealand Gazette, 1860-1894
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Errors I have found in review:
1. Keyers are keying rank (e.g. Captain, Private, Lieut etc) in the Prefix field although the instructions say not to.
2. Keyers are not keying residence place in full (apart from street address) as seen on the record - for instance, when it says Hamilton, Waikato on the image they are just keying Waikato instead of Hamilton, Waikato.
3. Keyers are missing out some of the names, especially if they appear in the middle of a block of text. --Katerimmer 15:16, 5 November 2014 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q; I have a set that I don't know how to key. It has at the top Schedule and has five columns, Date of orders: Judges: Trustees appointed: Name, sex, age, of persons under disability :Lands in respect of trustees appointed. Dates and places no problem but do we key the Judges, The Trustees or just the Persons under disability. The set number is 3794148-46 but I can't do a screen shot. They are all Maori names
- A: I think we would key the Trustees and the Persons under disability, but not the judges. --Katerimmer 08:56, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
Q: If a person has one name only(as several Maori do) should it be keyed in the first name field with the surname blank or in the surname field with the first name blank or does it make no difference?
- A: In the first name field with the surname blank. --Katerimmer 07:55, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
Q: The instructions say to key a name only once. If the same name appears with multiple dates, do I key the name only once with the earliest (or latest) date, or should the name be entered multiple times in this instance? The page I'm reviewing has a list of names with dates and trustees, and some of the names and trustees are listed multiple times (with different dates).
- A: You should just key each name once per article, and it would be with the first date that appears with the name. --Katerimmer 22:39, 9 December 2014 (UTC)
Q: I know we are not keying JPs, but what about Solicitors and those who are appointed as Liquidators?
Q:When the place name is an Island which is said to be near another place,should we be listing the place it is near to or just the Island?
- A: Just the island. --Katerimmer 11:06, 29 December 2014 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.