Talk:World Archives Project: New South Wales, Australia, Government Gazettes, 1853-1899 (Part 2)
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Click here to post a question or comment on the message board.
Click here to see Tips For Keyers
When the image/page is in 2 parts or columns ( as in keying image examples 2 & 3)key names down the left hand side/column then down the right hand side/column. While it doesn't count as an error it takes longer to be reviewed.
Each image is keyed in 1 section. Do not create multiple sections.
When columns have an entry of ..... it means it is blank, only copy an entry from the one above if it has "do" or ". For land tables ( as in keying example 4) if there is no entry or ..... in the Date of Receipt column key the Date of Application.
Keying Sample Images
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
1. Do NOT key names of the author of articles NOR authors of books for sale NOR monies received by the printer.
2. Wrong page numbers, they are NOT the number in [ ] with the article. Page no. will be in large bold font in the centre at the top of the image. If it is the first page of the Gazette, the page number will be smaller, in the centre at the top of the crest. Be aware that sometimes landscape oriented pages are turned sideways and the page number will be on the short edge.
3. Repeat the page number for every record on the page (F3 to copy down).
4. Only key the name of a County in the county field. Do not key Districts nor Sydney nor the "Colony" of "New South Wales" into the county field
5. Do not make up your own Event Type. For this field you must use one of the 14 project specific events, or leave empty if your article is continued from another set. To see the 14 event types, check the bottom of the field help.
6. Do NOT key Index, if that's all there is on the image change the form type to Cover Page.
7. If there are no names to be keyed, but there are articles/indexes/information/etc on the page, it is a Cover Page. Only use "Image with no data" if there is nothing at all on the page.
8. With land transactions when it has the owner as John Smith (now William Brown) these are 2 different people so are keyed as 2 separate records/lines NOT as an alias. If it has Isabella Jane Smith now Isabella Jane Brown, Brown would be keyed as alias surname.
9. There are some (new?) keyers making basic errors in the general keying standards. See this thread for examples. http://boards.ancestry.com/wap.intlrecordsaustralia/24220.127.116.11.1/mb.ashx
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q:I am keying a chart of "conditional leases," which contains several dates (date of receipt of application, date of confirmation, date of receipt of amount) for each different name. Which date do I key?
A:Date of receipt of amount by land agent. See keying example 4. Kerrie.
Q:What do you do when a column needs to be added for a Certificate Number? Also, a field is needed for professional education/ qualifications?
A: Only fill the fields/columns provided, certificate numbers are not keyed. Letters after the name, such as B A, M D, C P S, are keyed in the suffix field. Kerrie.
Q: With Licencing Courts Renewal of Licences what do we put for Event; Professional listing, Other or blank? Do we need to put an event in when we don't know what it is or can we just leave the space blank? As I read the instructions at present it seems to say that you need to put something in there.
A: in 3 parts:
A: a) If it is a listing headed "Quarterly and Special Licencing Courts", which is a listing of when & where the courts will be held for issuing licence renewals, the names listed are the convenors of the courts, ie Government Officials, and as such are not keyed in this project, just as with Mayors, Governors etc. So tables headed thus are ignored and not keyed at all. If this is all that appears on the image, change the form type to Cover page, Section header, etc. This is a recent decision published on the Australian board, and one of these pages is now shown as example 4 of a cover page on the instructions wiki page.
A: b) If it is a case of actual renewals of licences being granted, eg to auctioneers, publicans, etc., then the event is Professional Listing.
A: c) As per the instructions, "Event type may be found in the header or record level depending on the type and format of the article..... When event type is located on a previous image that is apart of your image set, copy it down, otherwise leave this field blank". So if you do not have the whole article in your image set to verify the event type, then you leave the event field empty. You do not have to enter the [Blank] as you would have to for a required field.
Q: Re Conditional leases. The one that I have does not have a Date of Rec of amount only Date of application and Date of confirmation and Basal Conditional purchase. Which one should I choose in this case? A: Date of application.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Land Transaction and Ownership details of a deceased person should be showing as 2 separate events. Anyone who has "Land Transaction\Ownership details of deceased persons" on their tool in the event field needs to do the following -
- to update the lists close the keying tool go to C:\ProgramData\Ancestry.com\KeyingTool\Dictionaries
- delete the file 41239 event types
- In the keying tool, download a new set from the gazettes to force the new file to be downloaded.
You should now have the correct event type list to choose from.
Kerrie. 11 Feb 2014. (information courtesy of Debby)