Talk:World Archives Project: New South Wales, Australia, Colonial Secretary's Papers, 1788-1825
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: I have names both in the margin and body of the letter. Do I key both?
- A: No, only key the names in the margin. We would only key names from the body if there aren't any names in the margin. Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
Q: There is also a problem with the year as I have 1837 and therefore must use F7
- We have adjusted the dates so you should no longer need to validate the year field.Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
1. Presume we create sections when more than one date is on the image - not stated in wiki.
- A: Yes, add a new section for each new date. (We will add clarifying instructions.)Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
2. Dates are outside the project range of 1788-1825 and have to be F7d. Have so far have seen years up to 1849.
- A: Continue to key all of the records, even if they are outside the range given in the title. (We will make it so you shouldn't have to validate them.)Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
3. If the year is noted as 38 do we kas as per instructions or would 1838 be OK?
- A: Key the year as seen, whether 2 or 4 digits. We will normalize these after the project is keyed. Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
4. When keying names within the letter ( as there are none in the margin) when they are military personnel etc such as Chief Contable McIntosh, Overseer Long, Lieut Nagel, all of these would be keyed as "blank" Surname. Is that what you want?
- A: Yes, you are correct. The given name would be marked "Blank".Annafechter 17:11, 22 May 2014 (UTC)
Q: If there are no names in the margin and names are being pulled from the letter itself, do we copy the Ship name to all these individuals like we do with the date? SlinkyM 18:42, 22 May2014 (UTC)
- A: No, only enter the ship's name if it is directly linked to the individual.
Q: I have a prisoner's name in the margin on the left page and I entered it as one record. However, there are no names in the margin on the right hand page, though there are prisoners' names within the body. Do I just enter the one record from the left page and ignore the rest? Or do I treat each page separately, entering the one record from the left page and the names from the body from the right page? SlinkyM 18:52, 22 May2014 (UTC)
- A: If there are no names in the margin on one page and there are on the opposing ... yes, key the names from the body for the page where there are no names in the margin.
Q : Refer to keying sample 1 - With this type of letter it is divided into individually numbered paragraphs. Is each paragraph treated separately so that if there were names within the body of the letter at the top of page 1 and in paragraph 10 then these names are keyed seeing as there are no names in the margin?
- A: No. The pages are viewed as a whole.
Q : When an individual in the main body of the letter( not a convict) is "granted permission" to travel to Moreton Bay on a schooner/clipper I have NOT been putting the name of the vessel on their line as it doesn't say they were on it. Is this correct?
- A: Yes, do not key the name of the ship unless it is directly associated with the individual.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.