Talk:World Archives Project: Ireland, Police Gazette, 1863-1893
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: How should "young offender" be entered under "Event Type"? For example: "John Farrell (young offender), Hue-and-Cry, 18th March, not arrested." Thanks in advance.
- A: I wouldn't key young offender, just Given and Surname.
Q: Are we keying the year as seen e.g 88 or as 1888 for this project?
- A: As there are no specific instructions about it on this project, we should follow the general keying standards which say to expand years to 4 digits wherever possible. --Katerimmer (talk) 03:37, 10 October 2015 (MDT)
Q:Some offenders have their mothers maiden name listed (surname only) Are we to list this as a separate entry or just ignore it?
- A1: I would key mother's maiden name.
- A2: I wouldn't - unless it is a woman and it is her maiden name!
Q: The project instructions say to "Key all persons listed within an article (alleged criminals, victims, spouses, etc.)" apart from the police, but the instructions for Role in Crime only allow for Victim and Perpetrator. So if a spouse is mentioned, would we key a record for the spouse and leave the Role in Crime field blank, or not key them? --Katerimmer (talk) 03:37, 10 October 2015 (MDT)
- A1: "Per Role in Crime: Key the role the individual played in the article, when the article is about a crime that was committed. For example, if the article is about an official receiving a promotion, the role in crime would not be keyed for that individual" So I would guess, leave it blank.
- A2: Sorry bad example in A1 - there is a specific event for Police Business which covers things like promotions and transfers.
Q: In the Gazette Page Example 3 shown (Habitual Criminals under supervision) is the Event Type "Absconded", "Wanted" or "License Holders" (because they have to report regularly to police, which means they must be out on License) or even something else!
Q: In Example 4, I find a contradiction between Event Type and Event Date. The event type is shown as Larceny; however the event date is the date released from prison. I would think the Event Type should be "Other." The larceny wasn't committed on his release date.
Q: For place names where the offence took place, Do we list the Parish or the Barony or both? The drop down list seems to like the Parish.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.