Talk:World Archives Project: Georgia, Control Register of Convicts, 1817-1976
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
When there are two dates, use the earliest date. -- Wiedwoman 18:39, 13 June 2013 (UTC)
Key as seen for the birth places and race e.g. So Carolina and W (White)
Replace & with the word and
If there is an A before convict number key e.g. A640
Here is an example of an alias name. --Katerimmer 16:43, 12 June 2013 (UTC)
On the pages where you can see the right page -- do not key information of the right page. It will be keyed on the next image. -- Wiedwoman 16:50, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
On the pages where you know they are in the 1900's, key the 4-digit year (like when an automobile conviction is involved). -- Wiedwoman 16:50, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
If the image has convict names it will be a convict register NOT a next image. Next image is for images with no convict names. -- Wiedwoman 16:50, 25 July 2013 (UTC)
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
I have seen keying of U/D instead of U/I which stands for Under the influence.
NTP = Non-Tax Paid (liquor)
In this example, the keyer did not key the Received Month, Day and Year and did not key the Race as seen (corrections are in purple):
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: Do we key the conviction date on the next image?
- A: Yes, if it is showing on that page. --Wiedwoman 16:48, 24 September 2013 (UTC)
A: I'm confused about keying the Dates when there's 2 sets (one above the other) .( CF -12 -6- 70 )Exa.What does the C F stand for?
- A: convicted felon maybe. I'm not sure without seeing an example. -- Wiedwoman 21:12, 16 June 2013 (UTC)
Q: Regarding the Crime field: the instructions state to not key periods or ampersands. What about commas and numbers in parentheses? I have come across "DUI (2), No Lic. (2)", as an example.
- A: Use commas to separate crimes (unless on some forms the transcriber used semi-colons - which is ok). Parentheses should be keyed when shown. -- Wiedwoman 21:05, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
Q: When a field indicates that the information is the same as above e.g. " marked in the field, should you add information from above?
- Yes. -- Wiedwoman 22:13, 8 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: What does GSP mean in the location page? Do I just enter GSP? (You can see it on one of the image samples given on this page)
- A: Probably Georgia State Prison -- Wiedwoman 03:46, 4 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: When the person's crime is a long list, separated by commas and on multiple lines, is the information entered on the different lines as it appears in the register?
- A: we only want to key one line per person. When the image is showing multiple lines for crimes and/or alias we need consolidated to the one line. --Wiedwoman 04:54, 5 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: I read on a different project that when there is more than one alias, only the first one should be keyed. Is it the same with this project? I have only come across one person with more than one alias (he has 3).
- A: Yes. We are to key the first alias name. -- Wiedwoman 22:13, 8 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: I have just opened a set that is different from most. Normally the Convict register is on the left side and the index is on the right. It this image it is the opposite. The convicts name is on both sides, but the crime is on the right hand page of the book. With the other records, the 'next image' choice was for pages that were a continuation from the previous page. Which should I select for this instance? Should I select 'next image' for the first page, or convict record for both sides of the book? Thank you.
- A: If an image shows names you will select convict record. -- Wiedwoman 22:01, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: Two questions....
- 1. On a record I am keying the column of complexion is listed (black, brown, yellow, white, mulatto) instead of race. Do I key that column as race or not at all
- 2. On a record I am keying there is a column entitled "number". Do I key this as the file number?
- A: 1. Yes, key the complexion as race. 2. Yes. This should be the convicts file number. -- Wiedwoman 16:15, 28 July 2013 (UTC)
Q: The page I am working on has a record with multiple crimes, which I understand to key with commas between them. It also has multiple conviction counties. How should I key this? Comma separated county entries causes the input program to ask for correction.
- A: Separate multiple counties with a comma and f7 to accept it. -- Wiedwoman 06:23, 8 August 2013 (UTC)
Q: Do we put the date that is under Discharged, Paroled, Pardoned, Commuted or Died under the Death Date or just use that date if the person has been executed?
- A: You would show death date if it is shown.--Wiedwoman 13:52, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: As the project spans 1817-1976, when the year on "Next Image" form is 64 are we using the crime from the "Convict Register" page to expand the year thereby ignoring "do not pull information from previous image" guideline?
- A: We are not pulling information from one page to the next. But the prior image has information to discern which century it is, so I don't see a problem in keying 1900's as the years. --Wiedwoman 04:52, 8 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: Also with multiple counties, if it says Fulton 3 times & Jasper 2 times (as in the main image example for convict register) are they to be keyed Fulton, Fulton, Fulton, Jasper, Jasper or just keying the same location once as in Fulton, Jasper?
- A: I would key each location once separated by a comma. --Wiedwoman 04:52, 8 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: Also is the location column on the "next Image" form not keyed in the county field correct as in the keying example 1 with lines? File:GA Next Page Key 1.JPG
- A:We are keying the conviction county and not location county. --Wiedwoman 04:52, 8 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: Clarification on expansion of years -how far do we go with using the knowledge that the years are in the 1900s when there are auto offences? If within the 1 set of images, image 2 has auto offences therefore the year is 1964, then image 4 with the file numbers following in consecutive numbers to that of image 2 & the year is shown as 64 but the offences do not include auto, do we expand the year or not?
- A: I would, but that is just my opinion. --Wiedwoman 03:30, 11 October 2013 (UTC)
Q: Is the crime "Viol Dangerous Drug Act" seen to be a 1900's crime for expanding the years? I presume it would be but has that been clarified?
- A: Yes this would be in the 1900's. --Wiedwoman 01:36, 14 October 2013 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made. I AM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE WORLD ARCHIVES PROJECT; GEORGIA, CONTROL REGISTER OF CONVICTS, 1817-1976. I CAN GET IT TO COME DOWN TO THE PICTURE OF THE REGISTER BUT I CANNOT GET IT TO BRING UP THE ACTUAL PART WHERE I CAN TYPE IN THE INFORMATION. I HAVE CALLED EVERYONE I CAN TALK TO AT ANCESTRY AND WORLD ARCHIVES AND CANNOT GET ANY HELP. CAN ANYONE ON THE MESSAGE BOARD TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT SO THAT I CAN START WITH THE PROJECT. HOW DO I GET THE PART TO SHOW WHERE I CAN GET THE TYPING IN FOR THE PROJECT. ( ALL CAPS JUST SHOW THAT I CANNOT SEE SMALL PRINT WELL AND THATS WHY I USE CAPS. PLEASE TAKE NO OFFENSE AT THIS. I KNOW THE PROJECT WILL BE CORRECT TYPING AND NOT CAPS.) THANKS CHAND
The only thing I know is the keying fields should be on the bottom part of the screen. There is a slider in the middle where you can go up or down to make more rows show for keying or less rows and more image to see. Hope that will fix it. :)
If you still have the problem, click just below the slider bar. you should get an + or similar. then you can move the slider bar up and bring you key area into view. Its worked for me several times! JDP
This article, How do I enter record data helps explain how to view the data entry area.