Talk:World Archives Project: Boston, Missing Irish Immigrants, 1831-1920
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Ques: Do I correctly understand that nephews and brothers in law are NOT to be keyed?
A: Yes, that's correct. --Katerimmer 18:34, 27 October 2012 (UTC)
Ques: If there are multiple dates on a page, are we to use the first date shown?
- A: From Project main page: Remember to create a new section for each date you encounter on the page. Click here to read more about adding a new section.
Ques: If it says, Sailing from Boston to Quebec, do we use Quebec as the Arrival Place?
- A: Yes, use Quebec as arrival place.
- Ques: Refering to above question and answer; it states on the instructions "Do not key locations where an individual was thought to have been or gone." I interpreted this to include the arrival place and keyed as such. Am I keying this information correctly? Or is the above answer correct?
Ques: If a brother or sister is listed, using only their first names, do we key surname as BLANK or surmise that they have the same surname?
- A: From Anna - "Assume the same surname – since they are immediate family members."
Ques: If a town and parish are listed as origin, which one should we use as Origin City?
- A: We are only keying the city/town and county. (per Anna on message board) (Note: Later on the message board, it states to use Parish if there is no city or town).
Ques: Relating to above question/answer: Keyers are entering both town and parish under ORIGIN CITY. In your ANSWER, do you mean to enter city/town and county or city or town and county?
Ques: When information about a person is carried over to the next image (eg starts in image 2 and continues in image 3), should we use the information from image 3 and input it into image 2 or just omit the information in both images?
- A: Key only information on image 2 on image 2 and only what information is on image 3 on image 3.
- Per Keying Standards: Can I pull information from one image to key on another? Unless specifically stated otherwise in the project instructions, information should not be pulled from one image to key on another.
Ques: The directions on the WIKI say: The relationship field is for the relationship a person has to the primary missing person, which is typically the first name mentioned and in all capital letters. The primary missing person's relationship should be keyed as "self." Does this mean if it says WILLIAM, MARY AND ELLEN KAVAN, they are all to be keyed as self, not self and sisters?
Q: Should we 'assume' and key last known location as 'Boston' if it says 'last heard from in this city'??
Q: Should we include anything from the continued section at the top of page from the previous page since there would be no 'self' that is related to it?
Q: Should Departure Place be only places in Europe OR should they be last places seen when it states 'left Montreal in ' with a year? Should Arrival Place be included with a statement of 'left Montreal for Boston in xxxx? Should Montreal be listed as Departure Place and Boston as Arrival Place or should only the 'ports' be listed from the Europe location to the US / Canada location?
Q: When 2 people's name are capitalized and there is reference that they are brothers or other accepted relationship, should they both be listed as self or should the 1st be listed as self and the next as brother so that their relationship is known?
Q: If the mother's maiden name is listed do you assume her married surname and enter it in the surname field and enter the maiden name in the maiden name field or does the maiden name go in the surname field?
Ques: If the woman is listed as Mrs. Man's Name should we still key her in? (i.e. John Doe is missing please leave info for Mrs John Doe; or leave info for her sister Mrs John Smith)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.