Talk:World Archives Project: Boston, Missing Irish Immigrants, 1831-1920
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Ques: Do I correctly understand that nephews and brothers in law are NOT to be keyed?
Ques: If there are multiple dates on a page, are we to use the first date shown?
- A: From Project main page: Remember to create a new section for each date you encounter on the page. Click here to read more about adding a new section.
Ques: If it says, Sailing from Boston to Quebec, do we use Quebec as the Arrival Place?
- A: Yes, use Quebec as arrival place.
Ques: If a brother or sister is listed, using only their first names, do we key surname as BLANK or surmise that they have the same surname?
- A: From Anna - "Assume the same surname – since they are immediate family members."
Ques: If a town and parish are listed as origin, which one should we use as Origin City?
- A: We are only keying the city/town and county. (per Anna on message board)
Ques: When information about a person is carried over to the next image (eg starts in image 2 and continues in image 3), should we use the information from image 3 and input it into image 2 or just omit the information in both images?
- A: Key only information on image 2 on image 2 and only what information is on image 3 on image 3.
- Per Keying Standards: Can I pull information from one image to key on another? Unless specifically stated otherwise in the project instructions, information should not be pulled from one image to key on another.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.