Talk:World Archives Project: Belfast, Northern Ireland, The Belfast Newsletter, 1738-1925
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Inst = current month, Ult = previous month. --Katerimmer 09:21, 13 June 2014 (UTC)
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q - If someone is described as Elizabeth, daughter of John Smith, do we key her surname as Smith (as in some other projects)?
- A: Yes, we can infer the child's surname from their parents. Annafechter 19:38, 13 June 2014 (UTC)
Q - Do we leave month blank if date shows for example 26 inst and date at top of newspaper is 6 Mar, or should we assume that the month is Feb
Need answer to above Q because why do we need to know what inst and ult mean if we aren't supposed to refer to date at top of paper.
- A: The way I understand the instruction "DO NOT key the Event Month from the publication date at the top of the image" is that it is saying not to key the publication month if no event date is shown. A date such as "the 26th inst" is an event date, so we would be ok to use inst or ult to work out the month name from the publication date. If it says 26th inst but the publication date is 6 Mar, this would seem to be an error, but we generally don't correct errors in the image unless we are instructed to, so this should be keyed as 26 Mar. --Katerimmer 13:39, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
Q - If a marriage or death record says eg Andrew Park son of John Park of Belfast, so we assume Andrew Park's residence is Belfast and enter that in residence field for main person. Also if it says someone is of Hollybrook Lodge - do we enter Hollybrook or full thing in residence field. As a supplementary if a street address is given do we assume this is Belfast and enter Belfast in residence or event field depending on what it refers to.
- A: I have been keying the parent's residence as the primary person's residence in that type of situation, based on the marriage notice in Keying Image Sample 1 where the spouse's father's residence is labelled as Spouse Residence. I realise that there is no Spouse Residence field on this project but it seems to imply that you can use the parent's residence as their child's residence. I would not key Hollybrook Lodge as a residence place because it looks like the name of a house rather than a town or village. If there is only a street address we do not assume it is Belfast, just leave it blank. --Katerimmer 13:39, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
Q. I am unsure of instructions re entering details for a birth where it says a baby is the son of eg George Sloan - I know I enter son of in Prefix field - do I then enter George in primary person first name field and Sloan in primary person surname field and also add George and Sloan in father's field,
- A: Prefix = Son, Primary Person Given Name [Blank], Primary Person Surname Sloan, Father Given Name George, Father Surname Sloan. This is as shown for the Birth notice in Keying Image Sample 1. --Katerimmer 13:39, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
Q. If someone is said to be in their 70th year - that actually means they are now 69 - so do I enter 69 in event age field or 70. Until I have answers to my 3 questions answeredalso the one re inst and ult I cannot submit any records.
- A: General Keying Standards say the following:
If the record states that the individual is "in their 24th year" how should that be keyed?
In this situation the age would be entered as 23 since they have not yet had their 24th birthday.
--Katerimmer 13:39, 28 June 2014 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.