Talk:World Archives Project: American Volunteer Soldiers, Mexican War, 1846-1848
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: On the Muster Card service places, do you key as seen? For example, Pittsburgh Pa or do you separate with a comma?
- A: I would separate with a comma. -- Wiedwoman 22:10, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: On the Muster Card for service places, can "joined for duty and enrolled" be included as preceding a place if no place is listed following the lines "company Muster-in Roll of the Organization... or "Appears on Co Muster-out Roll...?
- A: I would only key a place name. -- Wiedwoman 22:10, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
I suggest viewing the Keying Samples to see the places that are highlighted.
Q: On the Reference Card Wiki keying sample it shows to place the highest rank (lower right of the name) in as a prefix. Do we put this same rank in the rank field or do we put the lower rank (lower left of the name) in this field? My sample shows "4 Corporal" on left and "Sergeant" on right.
- A: I would only key Sergeant in the rank field. -- Wiedwoman 22:56, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
- The keying sample has been changed to show that the rank should be keyed in the rank field.-- LizzyPetersen 9:04, 27 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: Back to the above question about place name, I meant can you list a city following the phrase "joined for duty and enrolled" if no other cities are listed?
- Yes I would key the city. -- Wiedwoman 22:56, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: I have a card that says "Appears on Regimental Descriptive Book". Is this also keyed as a Muster Card or do we show it as a cover page? This card gives very acurate description of the individual with age, where born, residence, where and when mustered in, etc. It even has the date and location of his death.
- A: Only key the cards that are outlined in the description and examples. The Appears on Regimental Descriptive Book cards should be categorized as Cover pages. Annafechter 13:39, 28 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: I have a card that says "Appears on Pay Voucher". This card gives name, rank, Period of Service (Commencement Date and Expiration Date), and amount they were paid for clothing, use of horse, arms, etc. How do we classify this card? Muster Card or Cover Page?
- A: Only key the cards that are outlined in the description and examples. The Appears on Pay Voucher cards should be categorized as Cover pages. The only Appears on card we are keying is the "Appears on Returns as follows" card. There are reasons for why we are keying certain cards - all of the cards classified as Cover page will be viewable by researchers as they browse the records. Annafechter 13:39, 28 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: If you have two place names on the card, which do you key? -- Wiedwoman 16:49, 29 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: What if the Reference Card rank in the lower right is not the highest rank? Lower left field has a higher rank.......
- A: You will still key the rank in the lower right. It sounds like they were demoted. -- Wiedwoman 18:41, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
Q: Company Muster Roll for Sept & Oct 1846 --- Joined for duty and enrolled Jul 16 1846. Therefore, the "joined for duty" statement is the "earliest date on the card" per the instructions. Also, I've had dates in the Remarks section of the muster roll which have "the earliest date on the card". Do I use these dates? The instruction illustration "File:Mexican War Muster Card Keying Example 5.JPG" shows an example of what I'm talking about.
- A: I've got a query to Anna on this. According to the instructions the date highlighted should be June 1st - which would be the earliest date. I also have a query regarding keying service place when there is more than one service place on the card. Will get back to you when I hear something. -- Wiedwoman 22:01, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
- Wiki has been corrected. -- Wiedwoman 23:11, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.