Background Sources for Missouri
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Revision as of 10:25, 26 April 2010 by Jutley
The following publications will be helpful to the Missouri researcher:
- Parrish, William E., gen. ed. A History of Missouri. 5 vols. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, 1971–97.
- Gerlach, Russell L. “Population Origins in Rural Missouri,” Missouri Historical Review 71 (October 1976): 1-21.
- ———. Settlement Patterns in Missouri: A Study of Population Origins, with a Wall Map. Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1986.
- Houck, Louis. History of Missouri: From the Earliest Explorations and Settlements until the Admission of the State Into the Union. 3 vols. Chicago: R.R. Donnelley and Co., 1908.
- March, Daniel. The History of Missouri. 4 vols. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1967. Volumes 3 and 4 contain personal and family records.
- Meyer, Duane. The Heritage of Missouri. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, 1967.
- Ohman, Marian M. “Missouri County Organization, 1812–1876,” Missouri Historical Review 76 (April 1982): 253-81.
- ———. A History of Missouri’s Counties, County Seats, and Courthouse Squares. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri-Columbia Extension Division, 1983.
- Porter, Pamela Boyer and Ann Carter Fleming. Research in Missouri. Arlington, Va.: National Genealogical Society, 1999. One of the NGS Research in the States Series.
- Schroeder, Walter A. Bibliography of Missouri Geography. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri-Columbia Extension Division, 1977. An excellent annotated listing of geographic materials including atlases. A must for the serious researcher.
- Shortridge, James R. “The Expansion of the Settlement Frontier in Missouri,” Missouri Historical Review 75 (October 1980): 64-90.