- land records
- land records are deeds -- proof that a piece of land is owned by a particular individual. The information you receive from the records will vary, but you will at least get a name, the location of the property, and the period of ownership.
- denoting someone who is deceased, ie., the late John Thomas.
- property or money bequeathed to someone in a will.
- someone who inherits money or property from a person who left a will.
- person leasing property from an owner.
- owner leasing property to a tenant.
- Letters Testamentary
- court document allowing the executor named in a will to carry out his or her duties.
- book of public records.
- lic. (abbreviation)
- claim placed on property by a person who is owed money.
- life estate
- use interest in property until death.
- direct line of descent from an ancestor; ancestry; progeny.
- lis pendens
- notices of suits pending litigation, usually in matters concerning land.
- person involved in a lawsuit.
- liv. (abbreviation)
- local history
- a local history is usually a book about a particular town or county. Local histories were quite popular in the late 19th century. While they often give the history of the development of the area, they usually also include some information about the important families that lived there.
- loco parentis
- in place of the parent or parents.
- colonist who supported the British during the American Revolution; Tory.
- ltd. (abbreviation)
Glossary Title Page